Ever since I was young, I’ve had a thing for coats… I’m not sure why, I think I got it from my Mom. (Thanks Mom!) I think my love all started with an adorable royal blue peacoat with black velvet trim I had when I was four…. And then we lost it in a move. Needless to say, it was a scaring experience. Haha! My mom and I are always in search of the perfect coat for every season. We are always drawn to coats with unique elements. So I thought I would give you some tips on how to pick the perfect jacket that will be appropriate for many occasions and many seasons!
Fashion tips for picking the perfect all-season, every occasion jacket:
- Pick a color that is not directly related to a certain season. Neutrals are great, but seem to scream winter and fall. Colors that pop are great and can work for any season.
- Always go for a knee length jacket. It will work for EVERY occasion and are easy to dress up or down. A knee length jacket is great for the office, special occasions, and casual events.
In the outfit featured, I am wearing a light blue, knee-length, woven jacket from H&M. I love the unique elements of this jacket, like the princess sleeves and no collar. I’ve been wearing it to work lately AND out on the weekends! So versatile!
Jacket- $17 H&M (bought at a resale shop, originally $69.99) One similar HERE!
Peplum Sweater – $9.99 The LOFT (bought at Final Sale price, originally $49.50) One similar HERE!
Shoes- $18.50 (brand new, bought at a resale shop)
Marble Tassel Necklace – $12.99 6pm.com (originally $54.00) One similar HERE!
Resale. Consignment. Thrift. Second-hand. Whatever you want to call it! Shopping at a local resale shop was the key to snagging the jacket and shoes at such a great price. Some people are very put off by “used” clothing. However, shopping at second-hand stores allows you to pay great prices for high-end items that you may not otherwise be able to afford.
3 Reasons Why You Should Shop at Resale Stores:
- Most second-hand stores have very high standards for the items they will buy, so generally you can rest assured that the item is very gently used and in style.
- You pay a fraction of the price for high-quality items. Consignment stores only buy name brand items, which are usually priced at least 50% off. Knowing you are buying a previously owned item, it is easy to judge the quality by simply assessing the wear and tear.
- Many times you can find items that still have the tags on them! A lot of resale stores have a selection of items that are brand new. At my local second-hand store, Buffalo Exchange, they highlight all the tags of brand new items in yellow. If you ask the store clerk, they might give you a tip on where you can find the brand new items.
- It’s fun! Sifting through the racks at a resale shop is like mining for gold. You’ll be surprised.
Frugal Tip: Don’t be afraid to buy used clothing, you’ll be surprised by what you find and can afford!